Friday, September 18, 2015

Full Frame DSLR, The Future?

Pentax is teasing a full frame DSLR for next spring


Latest here
So with the edition of a Pentax FF camera, we now have Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony and Leica giving us around a dozen full frame bodies, whether they are mirror-less or traditional, that leaves a handful of companies yet to join the FF fray, including: Fuji, Panasonic, Samsung and Olympus. Will they weigh in? I believe they have to, people are demanding it. So what about APS-C?, I think there is still room for smaller sensors, however Olympus and Panasonic look to be in trouble with the smaller micro 4/3's.

With improvements in sensor production and Sony pushing the limits of technology, its a matter of time until the rest fall in place, professionals will choose the larger format, along with enthusiast's. Smaller format sensors will be around for the foreseeable future, I would like one myself and in fact have a Fuji x100s, but for my main stream imaging I want FF and I would like a small format camera that I can use with small primes but can also adapt my FF lenses too. 

Interesting times ahead, I look forward to seeing the evolution and what the late comers will bring to the market. They need to get moving quickly though.

It looks like Ricoh buying Pentax was indeed a good move for photographers. In the film days I shot with a Pentax ME and would love to see a Pentax revival, they are truly a photographers company.

I would shoot with a 50mp, medium format Pentax 645Z (43.8 x32.8mm) if I could only afford one.

 Shot with film back in 1999. Serengeti National Park


Ross


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts.