Monday, December 14, 2015

Sony A7R II and Canon EF 16-35 f/4 L IS



LR-0150_A7RII_Ross_Murphy_2015-12-15
Image: Sony A7R II, Canon EF 16-35 f/4 L IS, Metabonse IV EF-E  adapter
35 mm, f/8, 1/125 sec ISO 160

Being able to use my Canon lenses on the Sony A7R II is the only way I would buy in to this camera, that being said, how do they perform?




The answer is quite simple, they do, so far. Auto focus, aperture and shutter all report accurately that I have tested. The Canon EF 16-35 f/4 L IS performed very well on the A7R2 using the Metabones IV EF-E converter, there appears to be no loss of image quality, no apparent vignetting or loss of sharpness. The EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II also appears to perform the same way. This is just my initial look and I will be testing further soon.

On the other hand, the resolution is quit astounding at 7952 x 5304, that means at 240 DPI you can print natively at 33 x 22. The menus are not ideal and the color is not to my liking, my post processing will need to be revised. The ability to pull detail in shadow areas is nothing short of amazing.

Update:
After Testing wide angle shots in San Francisco, I am definitely seeing softness around the edges of both the 16-35 f/4L IS and the 24-70 f/2.8 L II when used with the Metabonse IV, I can only conclude that at wide fields there is an issue, the two lenses I tested, I have been shooting with for a long time and they are good lenses, period! so this is coming from the adapter or the sensor. Read This article and see about telecentricity

The softness issue along with the Sony files, which are difficult to work with, luminance and color are both very difficult to control and require a lot more work than Canon files, lifting shadows is great, but it leads to very flat images. I have decided to return this camera and wait for either Canon to produce one or perhaps get a Nikon D810.

The image size from the A7R2 is what I would really consider ideal, I would like to see this in the next Canon camera. Being able to print native images 33" wide or tall is very appealing to me.

I really wanted to love this camera, I even began to like the ergonomics, the function menu is quit nice, the inability to quickly change AF points was not an enjoyable experience and some buttons are far to easily pressed by accident. The view finder was quit nice along with the flip screen monitor.

I recommend if you buy this camera to use only native lenses from either Sony, Sony/Zeiss or the new Zeiss Batis primes.



A7R II info page is here 



Ross
Images In Light

16 comments:

  1. Can I simply just say what a comfort to discover someone who genuinely knows what they're discussing on the web.
    You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important.
    More people need to read this and understand this side of the story.
    I was surprised you're not more popular because you most certainly have the
    gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific article! This is the type of info that are supposed to be shared
    across the internet. Disgrace on Google for now not
    positioning this submit higher! Come on over and visit my site
    . Thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there! I know this is kinda off topic however , I'd figured I'd
    ask. Would you be interested in trading links or maybe
    guest writing a blog article or vice-versa? My blog discusses a lot of
    the same subjects as yours and I think we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you happen to be interested feel free to send me an e-mail.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Wonderful blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother suggested I would possibly like this web site.
    He was totally right. This post truly made my day. You cann't consider just how a lot
    time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey would you mind letting me know which webhost you're working with?
    I've loaded your blog in 3 different internet browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.
    Can you suggest a good web hosting provider
    at a fair price? Kudos, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, i think that i saw you visited my web site thus i came to “return the favor”.I am trying to find things to improve my website!I suppose
    its ok to use some of your ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really enjoying the design and layout of
    your site. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant
    for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi mates, its impressive article about tutoringand fully explained, keep it
    up all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very energetic post, I liked that bit. Will there be a part 2?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello there I am so excited I found your webpage, I really found you by accident, while
    I was looking on Google for something else, Regardless I am here now and
    would just like to say thanks for a tremendous
    post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to
    read it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be
    back to read much more, Please do keep up the fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know this web page offers quality dependent posts and additional stuff, is there any other
    web site which offers these things in quality?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm extremely impressed with your writing skills and also
    with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
    Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it's rare to see a nice
    blog like this one these days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like what you guys are usually up too. This
    sort of clever work and coverage! Keep up the great works guys I've incorporated you guys
    to my personal blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey there! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me
    of my old room mate! He always kept chatting about this.
    I will forward this write-up to him. Pretty sure he
    will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow that was strange. I just wrote an incredibly long
    comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't
    appear. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted
    to say wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am really delighted to read this web site posts which contains plenty of valuable facts,
    thanks for providing these information.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your thoughts.