Friday, May 1, 2009

Aperture Priority and Landscapes


Image: 5D, 17-40 f4 L, ISO 100, F11 at 17 mm, inlet stream Moraine Lake. Larger Image

Image: 50D, 300 mm f4 L IS, f 7.1. Grand Teton NP Larger Image

How do I shoot a landscape, I start with aperture priority, ISO 100, f5.6 to f11 depending on the depth of field or the distance from near to far objects in the scene, evaluative metering 80% of the time, between 17mm and 300mm, the above examples show both extremes, I will almost always use a GND filter and or a CPL, I always use mirror lock up and a tripod with a remote shutter device. There is no one lens for landscape, landscapes have there own individuality, typically a wide angle lens is used for those big panoramic scenes, but I love to isolate individual elements like a tree or a mountain peak and that can mean using a 300 mm lens or a 70-200 mm lens. When shooting wide I will reach for my 17-40 f4 L.

Ross Murphy Images In Light

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts.