Canon 5DSRUpdate: rumors have it that the noise and DR are in fact better at base ISO with the cost of high ISO noise, if this is the case the new camera may be designed specifically for low ISO shooting, which makes total sense. This does present a problem for people that shoot on both ends of the ISO scale, you will now need two cameras, one for low ISO 50mp studio/landscape shots and one for everything else.
Can you say 50mp? Well Canon can, this should be an interesting press release, the big one here is the EF 11-24 f/4 lens, but I'm very interested to see what this new camera can do, it needs to have better shadow recovery and higher dynamic range to get my interest, especially at the rumored price of $3900.
New info at Canon Asia here
DPReview test samples here
- EOS 5DS: 50.6 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor with ISO 100-6400 (Lo: 50 and H1:12,800) sensitivity range.
- EOS 5DS R: 50.6 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor with low-pass cancellation filter and ISO 100-6400 (Lo: 50 and H1:12,800) sensitivity range.
- Dual DIGIC 6 processors for outstanding image processing speed and camera responsiveness.
- 5 frames per second (fps) with selectable burst speeds and silent shutter mode.
- 61-point wide area AF with 41 cross-type sensors with iTR, AI Servo AF III and AF Configuration tool.
- 150k pixel RGB+IR metering sensor.
- 100% magnification Intelligent Viewfinder II with electronic overlay.
- 1.3x, 1.6x and 1:1 ratio crop modes with masked viewfinder display.
- Mirror Vibration Control System to reduce mirror vibration blur.
- Fine Detail Picture Style.
- CF + SD (UHS I) dual memory card slots.
- Peripheral Illumination and Chromatic Aberration Lens Correction in-camera.
- Multiple Exposure and HDR mode.
- Customisable Quick Control screen.
- Built-in timer functionality – bulb timer and interval shooting timer.
- Time-lapse Movie function.
- Super Speed USB 3.0 for high-speed tethering and image/movie transfer.
- 150,000 shutter cycle life.
- Compatible with most EOS 5D Mark III accessories (note: for WFT-E7 new USB cables required and firmware needs to be updated).
Purchase 5DS R here at B and H
The 5DS manual is here
Always the best place for review info is The Digital Picture: review in process
Imaging resource here
CPN here, in the studio here
CPN interview with Mr. Tsunemasa Ohara here
Images In Light