Thursday, March 31, 2016

Selective editing in Lightroom

The Colorado River and the Grand Canyon

Final modified image: 5D Mk III, EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II,  f/11, 1/80sec, 70mm


Original RAW Image


 
Check the box to see the mask (red areas) in Lightroom

Part 1. The Graduated filter tool. Here I added a small amount
of blue, reduced highlights and reduced exposure by -.29, added
clarity of 5. Getting me the contrast I wanted in the sky. Note I
pulled the graduated slider to the top of the canyon.


After graduated filter tool 

Part 2. The Brush tool. I wanted to add contrast and sharpen up
the mid and foreground, so I reduced exposure by -.10 added
 sharpness of 19, clarity of 5 and a very tiny amount of red from the
color selector. Note the brush size settings below.


After brush tool

That's not all I did, I did my standard RAW conversion and then used these tools to refine the image.
Its a pretty easy process once you learn all the little tricks. Lightroom has become a powerful tool for processing your images over the years. It is much easier to do these steps in RAW than tiff or jpg and you have much more latitude for recovery.

Ross

Images In Light

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts.